[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: Linux Upskill Project, Download Tools (Jul 2024)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 6 22:27:07 EDT 2024

Life has its ups and downs, but KWLUG trundles on. This month's
meeting will feature some upskilling and some downloads, as we welcome
some newish KWLUG members to present for us for the very first time.

Livia Lima will talk about an education project she maintains called
the Linux Upskill Challenge (https://linuxupskillchallenge.org) This
month-long program puts students in cohorts so they can learn the
material with each other. It is intended to help people learn how to
run Linux servers, and is appropriate for both complete newbies and
people who have been working on Linux for a while. Livia will tell us
about how the course is structured and how it works.

Sam Zhang will tell us about some download utilities for Linux -- the
old standbys wget and curl, and a few others as well. (Incidentally,
these "show me your tools"-type presentations are great. Inevitably
somebody learns about a tool that proves incredibly helpful to them.
If you would like to offer a tools presentation please get in touch.)

We also have a restaurant meetup scheduled for this month.  It will be
held Wednesday, July 24 at Crabby Joe's in Kitchener. As usual, it
would be nice if you RSVPed to dinner at kwlug.org, but otherwise you can
just show up. Get more information about the restaurant meetup at
https://kwlug.org/node/1388�.

In other news, CivicTechWR is still going strong, DevHouse is
happening, and there are a handful of other local tech meetups
continuing through the summer. As always, you can find details at
https://watcamp.com

Monday's meeting will again by hybrid. Join us at
https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug online or in person in LIB
329 at the Dana Porter library at the University of Waterloo.

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop