[kwlug-disc] ESPHome, ESP32, and compilers

Tim Laurence timdaman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 21:40:59 EST 2022

Chris,
  I must confess that I have never had to interact with my compiler
directly, I have always used Arduino or Platformio. When I look at my last
Platformio build for ESP32 here is the compiler I see being used.

/Users/tim/.platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32s2/bin/xtensa-esp32s2-elf-gcc

I think that implies Platformio is downloading its own compiler rather than
using the system one. I did find some documentation from Espressif here
that might be helpful.
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32s2/get-started/linux-setup-scratch.html

—Tim

On January 10, 2022 at 10:57:46 PM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc (
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org) wrote:

On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 10:54:03PM -0500, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 05:33:40AM -0500, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-announce
wrote:

> > Happy January! It looks like many of us (well, those of us who are
> > lucky, anyways) will be spending a lot of January at home, so maybe it
> > is appropriate that we kick off 2022 with another presentation related
> > to home automation? ESPHome is a project that makes it easy to
> > configure ESP32 and ESP8266 devices, which are apparently low-power,
> > wifi/bluetooth computers more powerful than my first desktop computer?
> > Tim Laurence loves these boards and finds them useful, so he uses
> > ESPHome to configure them so they work with his Home Assistant
> > install. After his presentation, maybe you will too!
>
> I'm greatly interested in this talk, but I'm not sure I'll be able to
> make it, so I really hope it is recorded. :-)
>
> One question: have you managed to use the gcc-xtensa-lx106 compiler
> that comes native with Debian for these boards? Or only the
> xtensa-esp32s2-elf / gcc8_4_0-esp* compiler builds from the
> manufacturer?

Oh nuts. I forgot to bring this up. My apologies. Maybe somebody will
answer on-list.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org