[kwlug-disc] Meeting Location Shortlist

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 11 00:13:08 EDT 2023

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 09:05:38AM -0400, CrankyOldBugger wrote:

> Please have parking.  Prefer free, but cheap is ok if necessary.

Both locations have parking. Neither is free. For those who are
willing to walk the Garment Street location is close enough to
downtown parking lots to be feasible. The UW location has no free
parking anywhere, because students.

> Please, no stairs..  Before I discovered a good spot on Duke St. to park, I
> had to use the parking garage at Market Square.  One night I got locked in
> the parking garage stairwell and ended up going up and down all the floors
> a couple of times before I could get free.  Thankfully I had my asthma
> puffer with me, but there were a few moments when I wasn't sure if they'd
> find my body in the morning.

Neither location requires stairs, but there are longish wheelchair
ramps to get into the UW library. Both locations may require some
walking to get to the location.

> Good wi-fi is always nice as I like to take notes on my laptop and upload
> them as I go, or sometimes I want to research more about the evening's
> topics.

I think both locations will have reasonable wifi so people can look at
Facebook during the meeting.

> Having a desktop surface that will hold my laptop, and a place to plug it
> in as it has an old battery is also nice.

I think the UW location has a definite edge here. There are some
tables in the Garment St location but not much table space, and no
available outlets that I can see/remember.

- Paul