[kwlug-disc] Bixby

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Jun 19 15:59:04 EDT 2023

On Mon, Jun 19, 2023, at 15:13, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> I'm kind of old fashioned..  if I need to make a call, I sit down and make the call.  So I don't need any voice assistant thing, tbh..  Although I do make good use of the speak-to-dial function in my truck..

I find google's voice assistant *the worst* in the car. About 50% of the time it can't figure out how to call my wife by name. It often queues up wildly wrong music when I ask for something. I've also changed the assistants voice, and when it doesn't understand me, sometimes the voice changes back to the default one. I joke that the assistant had to get it's manager to tell the angry human that they've never heard of the only person I ever place phone calls to.

Newer pixel devices are supposed to do local text processing, but weirdly, doesn't work when I don't have cell signal for part of my commute. Hmmm.

> Now if there's an app on my phone that will tell my Chinese girlfriend, who phones me every day but only speaks Chinese, to go away, then that would be of interest to me.  I'm getting tired of the telemarketers in my life, regardless of what language they harass me in.. (and I still have no idea what she's trying to sell me...)

On pixel phones, you can 'call screen' incoming calls. Your phone answers it, tells them they're being screened, and asks them what they want. The whole conversation is speech-to-text processed and shown on screen. You can answer the call (if it's important) or hang up (if they want to clean your water fowl).

The call processing is, again, supposed to be done on-device, but I actually believe it this time due to how fast and responsive it seems appears to be. It works faster and better than the assistant.

--
*Chris Irwin*

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  web: https://chrisirwin.ca