[kwlug-disc] Refurbished/Used Android phones (best place locally?)

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Mon May 29 09:01:19 EDT 2023

The GrapheneOS project has been under extreme and vitriolic attack from trolls since before I researched it and installed it. The attacks that I did read on the internet had a flimsy technical basis combined with a high level of negative emotion. I've stopped reading these attacks, there's no point.

Daniel Micay has resigned from his positions as GrapheneOS Foundation director and lead developer. He says there will be a transition period while he hands over his responsibilities, and that he is confident that the project will be in good hands once he completes the handover.

https://twitter.com/danielmicay

Micay mentions multiple swatting attacks as the tipping point for resigning. The Rossman video isn't mentioned, but it might have also been a factor. It seems that he's been under high emotional stress from all the attacks for quite some time, and that his stress levels have made him increasingly intolerant of criticism and attacks on the project.

My own experience with the community has been quite positive. I asked for tech support on the Matrix channel, and I got a prompt and knowledgeable reply that fixed my problem.

Doug.