[kwlug-disc] .deb packages in Ubuntu 23.10

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 19:01:24 EDT 2023

As you know, Ubuntu has been trying to drag its users (myself included)
kicking and screaming into the Snaps world.  Now I'm seeing from various
sources that the GUI application installer in 23.10 will not support
downloaded .deb installs.  You can still install via CLI, however.

I'm not a big fan of Snaps.  I suppose I'd be happier if Ubuntu embraced
Flatpak along with everybody else (well, almost everybody else), but I
don't see that happening.

First Systemd made me learn all new commands, then Wayland took away my VNC
connections, and now Snaps is making it harder than ever to install stuff
from the internet.  What's next?