[kwlug-disc] New Linux PC Build Advice

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 17:03:45 EDT 2023

I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with Jason E.: I'm not a
fan of RAID 0.  For the negligible speed increase that you get, you really
run the risk of losing your data (the zero in RAID 0 actually stands for
"how much data you can recover if one of the drives goes bust"  or
something like that).

I'd go with RAID 1 for reliability.

One other bit of advice..  plan your actual build during business hours.
You're going to get into the thick of the build when you realize a cable
isn't long enough, or you forgot to order something, or you ran out of
screws, etc.  You'll be driving back and forth to Canada Computers all day
long.  Last build I did was after hours and I nearly lost my mind waiting
for the store to open...