[kwlug-disc] New Linux PC Build Advice

Jason jasonpa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:38:19 EDT 2023

FYI - The Ryzen 7 7800X3D is better at gaming than the Ryzen 9
7900X3D, despite the latter having more overall cores.  Here's why:

The 7900X3D uses a two chiplet (CCD) layout, where the 3D V-Cache is
stacked on top of only one of the chips.  This means only 6 of the
cores have access to the 3D V-Cache.
If you're playing a game that uses cores on both chips, the shared
data needs to get pulled over the infinity fabric, and this causes
performance issues.
Also the AMD core parking/scheduler is apparently not very good.

This video explains it in detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B31PwSpClk8

I'm going to return the 7900X3D chip (unopened), and wait for Black
Friday and try to get a 7800X3D for a lot cheaper.
I paid $629 for the 7900X3D during the last sale.  Right now it's "on
sale" for over $700.
The most recent price drop for the 7800X3D was $499 on Newegg, which
was an all time low.  You can track pricing here:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0BTZB7F88

I'll wait until Black Friday and see if it drops even lower, or pick
it up at that price again.
Either way, I'll save more than $100, and get better gaming
performance at the same time.

Just a PSA, as I didn't do enough research and just found out why the
7800X3D was so much more popular.

Cheers,
Jason