[kwlug-disc] 10GB networking

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 09:02:16 EDT 2024

I must be starting to feel some of the effects of getting older as I
sent this to myself rather than the LUG:

We have 2 computers in our apartment that I sometimes need to transfer
large files between (45GB+ BD/4k files), so I’m starting to think
about buying some 10GB networking equipment.

Currently, our Internet modem is connected to a pfsense box, which is
connected to an 8 port gigabit switch (all ports used).

I’m really only concerned with dumping files between two computers,
but they’re at least 50 feet away from each other, probably a bit more
if I run everything nicely along the baseboards.

If I buy a couple of 10GB SPF+ cards and a 10GB switch, do I also need
to buy a 3rd 10GB SPF+ card for the PFSENSE box? Internal routing is
done via the separate pfsense box. Would the switch be enough to allow
the two 10GB cards to route files without polling the pfsense box for
each packet? Or do I need a 3rd 10GB card?

Because there’s a bit of a distance between the switch and the media
centre computer, I’m thinking a multi-mode fibre optic cable is the
best way to go? Anything to watch out for with buying these cables and
the switch?

What else is there to consider? (All Linux boxes) Any special tuning
for large files (heard something about enabling jumbo frames, but then
does this affect the performance of transferring a lot of smaller
files < 1GB)?

Thanks all!

Charles