[kwlug-disc] Remote vs local meetings, five months in

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Feb 15 04:08:33 EST 2024

Paul wrote:
> (A large number of the in-person attendees also are on BBB for some reason?)

Yes, if I were at the meeting then I would be on BBB too. Just as remote
people don't want to miss the chatter in the room, so the in-person
people don't want to miss the chatter on BBB.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to attend many meetings online, and
none in-person. The things that keep me away will eventually be over,
and then I'll be back, but probably online mostly.

One thing that would help engagement between in-person and remote
attendees is to point a webcam at the in-person audience before the
speaker starts, during intermission, and for a short time afterwards.
And if you allow remote webcams during that time and project BBB on the
screen then everyone can see everyone else. If the bandwidth
requirements of all-webcams is too much, at least show the chat box to
the in-person audience so those without a personal BBB device can still
get some of the online flavour.

I too would like to get a better sense of the chatter in the audience. I
realize chatter in the audience may be rude for the presenter, but this
is a problem to be fixed by social means, not technology. And some
presenters may appreciate the audience interaction.

To improve the audio for in-person presenters, maybe have two mics? One
lapel mic and one hockey puck mic should work well. Of course, that may
require some analogue audio gear...

--Bob.