[kwlug-disc] Image viewer that can build up a slideshow

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 29 08:58:21 EST 2024

I am lacking the nouns to feed into a search engine for this, so I
will describe what I am looking for and hope somebody can either
provide nouns or a candidate.

Currently I use sxiv to open images. If I open an image with sxiv it
puts it in a new window. So if I open four images with four
invocations of sxiv I get four windows.

I want to make four invocations of an image viewer and have the images
added to a slideshow. The first invocation should launch the image
viewer. The second through fourth should add the listed images to the
image viewer, so that I can build up a slideshow in a single window.
Ideally the latest image I invoke should be the one that is
displaying, but then I want to be able to scroll through the rest.

I want to launch the image viewer with a single commandline command,
providing the image filename as an argument.

Ideally this imageviewer would be lightweight. In the past I have
tried things like feh and qiv in addition to sxiv. Maybe one of these
can do what I want already; I have not really looked.

What is the noun phrase for what I am looking for? Alternatively, what
software can do this and how do I accomplish it?

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop