[kwlug-disc] We'll ship your machine

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 13:16:43 EDT 2024

[Old geezer meme]

On the Atari ST (sorry, before Linux!), when programming in C, some
people used to use "puts" instead of "printf" for screen output. The
reason was that printf supports floating-point numbers, and thus using
printf would pull in a lot of libc routines for floating-point
handling that you probably didn't need. This would add many useless
kilobytes to each executable.

There is a quip that the name of the editor "Emacs" stands for "eight
megabytes and constantly swapping", because emacs was such a memory
hog. These days, emacs is the slim editor compared to many others. If
that continues to be true, in 2034, Docker and friends will have grown
to use a Terabyte when they run, and we won't care because that fits
into a small corner of our phones.

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>