[kwlug-disc] Personal Database Software

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sun May 12 00:37:43 EDT 2024

I've come across the need for software that I think used to be common,
but seems to have stagnated (i.e., not survived the jump to multi-device
or multi-users): Personal Database Software.

Baseically like Microsoft Access, or LibreOffice Base: Define a Table
(i.e.  "Albums"), define fields/layout a form ("Title", "Artist", etc),
and then you can start adding entries, searching, browsing, etc. Easy
enough for a user without having to know SQL, or any scripting
languages.

If it was just me, I could theoretically just use LibreOffice Base (or
postgres directly, I guess).  However, that doesn't really work well in
either the multi-device world (look things up from my phone while away
from home), or multi-user world (share tables with other people)

It goes without saying that there's a *strong* preference for
self-hosted open source solutions.

I figured there'd be some niche project that I just haven't come across,
but I'm really not finding anything.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca