[kwlug-disc] Snappy judgements, snappy issues, flat shadows

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun May 19 12:23:40 EDT 2024

Charles,

In my case, one little used laptop with specialized software is still
on Xubuntu 18.04 LTS.
Two others are on Xubuntu 20.04 LTS.

The servers on the other hand are 22.04 LTS.

All of them have no snap, since right after an install or version upgrade, I
purge snap, as I have done for years.

A few years ago, I posted on this group that installing fresh vs.
upgrading is different in regards to snap.

http://mail.kwlug.org/pipermail/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org/2022-May/021160.html

Can you please clarify this part:

> GNOME software was replaced with Canonical's Snap Store for Xubuntu 24.04.

Xubuntu uses XFCE, so there is no GNOME desktop per se.

Unless you mean libraries and other stuff that XFCE uses that also GNOME uses?

I am tempted to dust off a very old laptop, and try to install Xubuntu
24.04 LTS on it, to see if I can get rid of snap on it as I have alway
done.