[kwlug-disc] Snappy judgements, snappy issues, flat shadows

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Sun May 19 12:41:29 EDT 2024

In 22.04 Xubuntu uses GNOME Software to graphically manage software. It's
called "Software," in the menu, but it's GNOME Software:
https://docs.xubuntu.org/latest/user/C/managing-applications.html

24.04 replaces this GUI software installer with Canonical's Snap store, but
they rename it App Center in the menu. Apt is off course still present, and
you can install .Deb files from cli. I was able to install flatpak support
in cli, and you can still install GNOME Software and the flatpak extension
on 24.04.

I experienced some weirdness with window snapping (right/left) not working
in 24.04 on a couple of installs. One install it does work, but I installed
a bunch of extras, so I'm not sure what's going on. I also use some PPAs
(OBS Studio) and things like that probably won't be available for 24.04 for
awhile.

As much as I'm not thrilled with snaps, that snap store populates a lot
faster than GNOME Software.