[kwlug-disc] Framework Laptop

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Fri Jun 23 02:16:59 EDT 2023

Thanks for the link Ron. The engineering that Framework is getting up to is amazing.
The custom display on the 16" is also a big upgrade from the 13", which is 60Hz sRGB:
> The Framework Laptop 16 has 2560x1600 resolution, a 100% DCI-P3 color gamut, variable refresh rate up to 165Hz, 9ms rise+fall time, 1500:1 contrast, and an unusually high 500 nit brightness. We’re also using the same matte top surface that is on the new matte display in the Framework Laptop 13. All of this means that instead of having to choose between a gaming panel (fast response and refresh rate), a creator panel (high resolution, wide color gamut, and high contrast), or a general productivity panel (high brightness and matte surface), you get a single panel that excels at all three.

They are teasing a future announcement about the new keyboard. We could get an extra 0.5mm of travel, or enough vertical height budget to support a trackpoint (considered not possible for the 13" due to space constraints).

Doug.