[kwlug-disc] More on the Matrix

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Jun 20 19:55:00 EDT 2024

> Along with the talk we had last month on The Matrix, this week's FLOSS
> Weekly podcast also talks about the Matrix as a "git for communications"
>
> https://hackaday.com/2024/06/19/floss-weekly-episode-788-matrix-its-git-for-communications/

On minute 55, Matthew suggests a hybrid mix of newish post-quantum
public key crypto and regular public key crypto. Ingeniously simple.

Ever since 1990's with PGP paper (at least that one was the first
explainer for me, history clarification is welcome), we use public key
cryptography to pass symmetric cryptographic keys that are actually
encrypting content. Public key cryptography has always been slow
relative to symmetric one. Process is pk -> sk.

Hybrid usage of new public key cryptography can be new_pk -> pk -> sk.
If new_pk is broken, it returns to the existing setup. Content
encryption is still fast. This is ingeniously simple hedge.