[kwlug-disc] rsync skips TrueCrypt file without checksum flag

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sun Jun 23 19:01:55 EDT 2024

I want to report the following observation relating rsync and having
checksum or not.

I have, ... . No. Under my supervision and care there is windows machine
that backs up its data into TrueCrypt bucket/file on external drive.
This file gets copied from drive elsewhere with rsync.

Well. Apparently, TrueCrypt is doing a good job of hiding, and
timestamps don't change on the file. Size doesn't change by nature of
it. As a result, rsync won't archive it, unless checksum is used.

Or, if you happen to rsync TrueCrypt buckets/files, you have this
observation to double check is data flow goes as expected.